This wonderful photograph above of Frank Mountford courtesy of his granddaughter Jackie Clowes and the explanation below comes courtesy of he Old Nortonians.
“We remember that when the Prince of Wales visited the area in 1924, one of his duties was to open the Biddulph Grange as an Orthopaedic Hospital. His entourage travelled through Smallthorne where by the side of Dean’s Row and the Police Office; he inspected members of the Smallthorne Ex. Service Mens Club & Institute, marshalled under the surveillance of Major Dickenson D.S.O. of Brown Edge. Afterwards the party proceeded by was of Norton, Bemersley and Black Bull to Biddulph.”