History of St Mary’s Church by Mick Moran

St, Mary’s RC School at Smallthorne

A chapel was opened at St. Mary’s Roman Catholic school in Queen Street (now Brierley Street), Smallthorne, in 1875. It was served from St. Peter’s, Cobridge, until 1895 when it was transferred to the new Burslem mission. A mission including Burslem, Smallthorne, and Wolstanton was formed out of the Cobridge mission in 1895 with the assistant priest from Cobridge as resident priest. Smallthorne became a separate parish in 1923 there has been a resident priest since then and the Roman Catholic population of the parish has remained at about 600 since the late 1920’s

Pin It on Pinterest